Deputy Academic Director, Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology
The Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT) is looking to appoint a tenured UBC Vancouver faculty member as Deputy Academic Director. The position is part of CTLT’s senior management team and will provide additional strategic academic leadership to the expanding range of key projects and activities supporting teaching and learning at UBC.
CTLT is a centrally-positioned unit providing leadership, academic services and support to the UBC community in the areas of teaching and learning scholarship, course and program development, learning design, educational technology support and development, instructional support, and teaching practice development. CTLT has 86 full-time staff, with approximately 20 per cent embedded within Faculties or other units on campus.
This new opportunity comes at an exciting time for CTLT and the broader university context. More information about some of CTLT’s recent work can be found in our 2017-2018 Annual Report, but highlights include:
- As of July 2018, CTLT has a new Academic Director, Dr. Christina Hendricks.
- We are working closely with Dr. Simon Bates, Associate-Provost of Teaching and Learning, on priorities emerging from the UBC Strategic Plan. These include curriculum renewal around program outcomes and competencies, experiential and work-integrated learning, and interdisciplinary teaching and learning.
- We look forward to deepening our engagement with the UBC indigenous Strategic Plan and the Canadian Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action in order to strengthen our commitment to and support of inclusive teaching and learning.
- We continue to innovate in the development and delivery of learning technology, and have been instrumental in the transition to Canvas, the new learning management system for UBC courses.
- CTLT’s Institute for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISoTL) has also increased its level of support for ISoTL practitioners in recent years, and we aim to further strengthen our connection with UBC’s ISoTL community.
CTLT invites applications from tenured UBC Vancouver faculty members for the position of Deputy Academic Director. Applicants must be able to demonstrate evidence of:
- Academic excellence in teaching, learning and leadership: a passion, drive and track record of enhancement to the student learning experience;
- Educational impact: demonstrated, successful experience leading educational innovation or change initiatives at the department, discipline or faculty level;
- Relationship building: strong facilitation skills to build a collegial atmosphere, and the ability to navigate through and influence the direction of complex conversations;
- Excellent communication: clear and compelling writing skills, excellent communication and presentation abilities, and the ability to engage with diverse audiences from across the UBC community, including university leadership;
- Navigating complexity: the ability to operate as an effective, tactical and strategic thinker, an adaptable and creative team player who thrives on a challenge;
- Organizational fluency: an understanding of and respect for UBC’s culture and environment, with experience developing effective relationships with faculty and staff across different levels of the institution.
The Deputy Academic Director will work in close collaboration with and report to Academic Director Dr. Christina Hendricks, and will play a key role in the CTLT senior management team.
The role will direct project-related activities (line management of staff is not anticipated); projects may involve collaboration with faculty, staff and students from key partner units and faculties across campus.
The role of Deputy Academic Director is a three-year secondment opportunity beginning on July 1, 2019, with the possibility of renewal. It is a majority-time secondment, with exact proportions to be decided in consultation with the successful applicant and their home department. The successful candidate will continue their appointment within their department for the duration of the secondment.
The opportunity is open to all tenured faculty members with an appointment at UBC Vancouver and relevant experience and expertise. To apply, please submit a curriculum vitae as well as a statement of interest for the position. Applicants should outline one or more of the capacities and achievements in the bulleted list above (maximum four pages single-spaced), and the names and contact details of three referees by March 1, 2019 to:
Dr. Christina Hendricks, Academic Director, CTLT
c/o Catherine Aldana, CTLT
Interested parties are encouraged to contact us for any enquiries they may have.
UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed to employment equity. All qualified faculty are encouraged to apply. We especially welcome applications from members of visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others with the skills and knowledge to engage productively with diverse communities.