Dr. Catherine Rawn, Kieran Forde join VPAO as Provost Office Fellows in Online Learning
We are pleased to announce the appointment of two Provost Office Fellows in Online Learning.
Dr. Catherine Rawn is our Provost Office Fellow, Faculty. This Fellow role concentrates on:
- Supporting the VP Academic office in various aspects of planning for teaching and learning during summer 2020 and into Academic Year 2020/21.
- Gathering and disseminating best practice approaches across disciplines, articulating options for courses that are not easily offered online.
- Supporting the Associate Provost, Teaching and Learning, with other activities to support UBC’s teaching and learning mission.
Dr. Rawn is a Professor of Teaching in the Department of Psychology at the University of British Columbia. She specializes in teaching and educational leadership, and serves as Chair of Curriculum Committees at both the Faculty of Arts and Psychology Department levels. She has a long history of cross-disciplinary faculty professional development and advocacy, including extensive experience in workshop facilitation (e.g., Instructional Skills Workshop), formative and summative peer review of teaching, as co-creator of the Educational Leadership Network, and as the Arts/Commerce Academic Leader for the International Faculty Development Program for Teaching Excellence (Faculty of Education, 2019/20).
Dr. Rawn has been an instructor at UBC since 2008. Before that, she earned a BA from Waterloo as well as MA and PhD from UBC in Social/Personality Psychology. View her profile at the Psychology website.
Kieran Forde is our Provost Office Fellow, Students. This Fellow role focused on:
- Ensuring student feedback is represented in for summer/winter term online instruction.
- Supporting activities to ensure graduate student TAs are prepared and supported for their roles in online instruction.
- Acting as liaison between student development and support planning activities in the VP Students portfolio, and academic and curriculum planning, in consultation with the VP Academic and Faculties.
- Working as part of the VP Academic planning team for Academic Year 2020/21 instruction.
Kieran's work as Provost Office Fellow, Students, has provided an opportunity for increased engagement across the VPA portfolio with UBC student leadership and across Faculties. As part of this role Kieran has provided a strong student voice into strategic conversations supporting the Provost office focus across academic needs for both students as well as faculty.
Kieran is a first-year PhD student in the Department of Curriculum & Pedagogy in the Faculty of Education. Before moving to Canada, he completed a BA at the National University of Ireland and an MA from the University of Limerick in his native Ireland, and worked in China for over a decade where he delivered courses for Lambton College (Ontario), Memorial University (Newfoundland), and Northwood University (Michigan). During this time, he also worked in language assessment with the British Council in China and, later, in Nepal and India.
In 2019, he completed an MEd in Media and Technology Studies Education at UBC and had the opportunity to continue his research in the area of teacher professionalism and its conflicts with online reputation and the permanence of digital memory. During his time at UBC, he has enjoyed working as a facilitator for the Instructional Skills Workshop at the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology and working as a teaching assistant for the technology education cohort of the Bachelor of Education program. In 2020, he was the recipient of the Faculty of Education’s Graduate Teaching Assistant Award.